Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Blues Festivals


INTRODUCTION
During the summer, Blues Festivals are held all over the country. The Blues is a type of music that combines African and European musical forms. The songs are usually about feeling sad or lowdown. Often, there is a call and response in blues music. We experience this in poetry too. Here is a poem that shows what I mean:

POEM


UNTITLED
By Walter Dean Myers

Blues, blues, blues,
blues, what you mean to me?
Blues, blues, blues,
blues, what you mean to me?
Are you my pain and misery,
or my sweet, sweet company?

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Myers, Walter Dean. 2003. BLUES JOURNEY. New York: Holiday House. ISBN 0823416135

EXTENSION
Dim the lights and play some blues music by someone such as W.C. Handy (considered the father of blues music) or any other blues musician of your choice. Encourage the children to discuss how it makes them feel. Is it possible to feel happy while listening to the blues?

No comments:

Post a Comment