Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Poet Naomi Shihab Nye's Birthday


INTRODUCTION
The novelist and poet, Nye was born on March 12th. As an Arab American living in the United States and in Israel, she has had an unusual life. But the problem she describes in this poem might happen to anyone. Have there been times when someone has accused you of lying? Think about that as you listen to her poem.

POEM

There Was No Wind
by Naomi Shihab Nye

I don’t know why I would tell
an outright lie
to someone I never saw before
but when she asked
Did you close this door?
in an accusing tone
I said No, the wind closed it

She gave me an odd look
pushed the door wide open
and left it that way

I felt strange the rest of the day
walking around
with a stone on my tongue

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Nye, N. S. 2008. HONEYBEE: POEMS AND SHORT PROSE. New York: Greenwillow Books. ISBN 9780060853914

EXTENSION
Invite students to draw the emotion or event, or their own reaction to the poem. Also, allow time for children to share their thoughts on what is going on in the poem.


Photo courtesy of http://images.google.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment