Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Halloween



INTRODUCTION
If you were building a haunted house, what would you put in the house to scare everyone? Suppose you did not know what to expect, and you went into a house like the one we planned, what words would describe your feelings?


POEM

That Old Haunted House

by Judith Viorst

That old haunted house was so creepy, so crawly,
so ghastly, so ghostly, so gruesome, so skully-and-bony.
That old haunted house gave me nightmares and daymares
and shudders and shivers and quiver and quavers and quakes.
That old haunted house made my hair stand on end and my
heart pound-pound-pound and the blood in my veins ice-
cold freezing.
That old haunted house gave me goose bumps and throat lumps
and ch-ch-ch-chattering teeth and the sh-sh-sh-shakes.
That old haunted house made me shriek, made me eeek, made
me faint, made me scared-to-death scared, made me all-over
Sweat.
Would I ever go back to that old haunted house?
You bet.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Stockland, Patricia M. 2004. COBWEBS, CHATTER, AND CHILLS: A COLLECTION OF SCARY POEMS. Illustrated by Sara Rojo Perez. Minneapolis: Compass Point Books. ISBN 0-7565-0565-8

EXTENSION
Look at the words the class put on the list to describe feelings. Which of those words would sound more emphatic if you extended them like the words in the poem? Are there other words that come to mind to add to the list after hearing the poem?
Try to write a sentence poem using at least one of the extended words.

No comments:

Post a Comment